SAMBA fundraises throughout the year to help Sunset’s bands pay for travel expenses, entry fees, uniforms, specialized performance instruction, show design, instrument purchase and repair, the purchase of new music and arrangements, and scholarships for students who otherwise would be unable to afford to participate. All families are expected to help support SAMBA through at least one volunteer activity in addition to the Sunset Classic.
A highlight of the annual fundraising programs managed by SAMBA include:
- The Sunset Marching Band Classic – Launched in 1989, the Sunset Classic is SAMBA’s largest fundraiser of the year. This full-day marching band competition requires the support of every band family to make this show a great success. Planning for the Sunset Classic begins in winter of the previous season.
- Spring Auction – Each spring, SAMBA holds a spring awards concert and silent auction. This is SAMBA’s second-largest fundraiser of the year and features all of Sunset’s symphonic and jazz bands.
- Fireworks Stand – SAMBA members set up a firework stand at Bales Thriftway. Parents and students spend time in the stand selling. A great way for incoming freshmen and their families to meet fellow members.
- Parades – SAMBA members work at local parades, such as the Macy’s Holiday Parade, Shamrock Run, Starlight Run and Providence Bridge Pedal. All volunteers earn $20 – $25 per person for SAMBA.
- Other Fundraisers: SAMBA pop sales, One for the Band, Jazz & Funk Band gigs, poinsettia sales, mattress sales, and more.
There are many ways to volunteer throughout the school year. Please make sure that you’ve filled out the “volunteer form” at the beginning of each school year and turn it into the SAMBA membership coordinator or Mr. Hall. If you wish to get involved at any other time, please contact the SAMBA Vice President, who oversees all fundraising activities.